..if you want to be given everything, give everything up..

Friday, November 04, 2005

..75..and still going strong..

Alright..so this my 75th post. Which, honestly, is WAY more than i thought i'd ever do. WAY more. I thought i'd be done at 10, not to mention like 4. But 75! Anyway, thats somewhat irrelevant.
I need to address a few things. Amy, thanks! Lol. You're like..for what? That song you played as your theme song..i've been listening to it ALL morning, jiving and grooving to its beat. And the lyrics are great. Yes. GREAT song. And for some reason it moved me to download Michael Buble..oh wait maybe it was Dionne's song that moved me to do that. Anyway. Yea.
So, my question of the post is..what's in a name? Stupid question you might think..but i have a reason for asking i really do. Up until i moved back to Alberta in 2001, i went by Ian, as Ian was my name. And i hated it. Ian's such a plain name. Like, one syllable? Come on. Why couldn't my name have been Emilio, Antonio, or even Steve. I'd even settle for Kyle. But Ian, is, as i was told through school, such a nerdy name. So i didn't really like it. Then when i started working at Pine Lake i adapted a "Nickname"..Austin. Because at the time i had a british accent the staff at camp and the campers who arrived week by week used this moniker for me. I was, Austin Powers. I never realised this would stretch out into the year. Friends, parents, colleagues, Austin was my name. Even if i wasn't at camp. ANd i loved it, it took away from the bland "Ian" so that was cool. After a while though i kind of got tired of it to be honest, longing just to have a normal name, not like a fun name that people enjoyed saying because it was the "cool" thing to do. So when i moved to Toronto i started getting called Ian again..and that was cool. And then i worked at camp, and developed a new moniker for a new camp. Kramer it is. So i figured, heck thats a name that'll stick to only camp like everyone else's. But again, all year, Kramer it was. So i was just like whatever, that's cool. But now, after my second summer, i'm finally getting called Ian. By friends, parents, everyone. Ian is my name. Sure theres the occassional Kramer reference but i guess i never fully appreciated how what yoru name is describes who you are. Neither Austin or Kramer really is me, just a name i developed and people stuck with it. But i'm Ian, and i will forever be Ian. And if it weren't for the select few people who never called me Kramer but stuck to Ian..i don't think it would have ever made the transfer to being Ian away from camp instead of kramer EVERYWHERE. Anyway, yea, thats my rant. Ian. I like that. Not as nerdy as i thought. Shut up ok it is nerdy but i dont mind anymore.
Merry Christmas..err..not yet

4 Comments:

  • I think Ian is a very strong name. It suits you.

    By the way, I think Ian has two syllables (ee-ahn)

    And it's not bland.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 PM  

  • Ummm...You are still Austin to me to confusing to have two Ians. There is nothing wrong with that name I love it

    By Blogger RainbowBrite, at 5:12 PM  

  • lol..if ur gona post as anonymous..leave ur name for crying out loud..jerk..kidding..whoever it is..unless its that guy i met on that thing with the stuff..then you are a jerk. Ya. I went there.

    By Blogger Ian, at 5:47 PM  

  • Hey Ian...
    I have to agree...names are important. Up until this year I was always going by "Matt" or "Porto" lol...but now, I've decided Porto is dead to me...and Matt has no meaning. The name Matthew actually has a meaning. And I feel that it actually suits me. I think getting caught up in nicknames at a time can be a 'cool' thing...but in the end I'm glad that you can find security in your own name.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home